Kai Point Coal has been a part of the South Otago scene for over 60 years
Incorporated in 1951, the company was started by the late George Cross.
George received his grounding in the coal business by running the Linton Coal Co. the forerunner to the Ohai mine.
George starting the contracting business and several other ventures and after much prospecting, the Kai Point Coal Company at Kaitangata.
In October 1958 the new mine site was opened and we still occupy this today.
The Kai Point Coal Company is a responsible company committed to mining in a socially acceptable and environmentally sustainable manner. Our mine is an open cast one and we produce approx 55000 tonne per annum with 80% being for the industrial market.
To the mine